ant-dev mailing list archives

From Diane Holt <hol...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: PATCH: cvs <commandline> implementation
Date Mon, 25 Mar 2002 08:10:10 GMT
--- stephan beal <stephan@wanderinghorse.net> wrote:
> On Monday 25 March 2002 01:32 am, Erik Hatcher wrote:
> > Any particular reason you still need CDATA capability
>
> a) because i generate parts of my build.xml, and don't wanna write perl
> code which writes <commandline> stuff.
> e) As a build file writer, i would strongly prefer this:
>
> <cvs>
> status build.xml
> up -r HEAD Makefile
> </cvs>

As I've said before, I think this format is really out-of-character for
Ant -- and if I came across it in a build file, I'd think it was a
mistake, since there's nothing to indicate what it's even doing. And as
I've also said before, I think it'd be far better to enhance the <foreach>
task to read a file and use each line as the param to pass -- you could
even get into allowing for fields, with a specified field-delimiter (a la
'cut'), ignoring comment lines, etc. I think that would be far more useful
than having this odd (to me, anyway) thing added to the <cvs> task.

I realize you've already taken the time to write a bunch of code to deal
with this, but I'm sure we've all at some point or other written code that
we've ended up having to chuck. (I know I have, and it's not an easy thing
to do, especially when it's some terribly clever way around something that
you later realize could be done in some far more straightforward way --
but damn, that clever way around sure was brilliant, for awhile :)

Diane

=====
(holtdl@yahoo.com)