ant-dev mailing list archives

From David Jencks <davidjen...@directvinternet.com>
Subject Re: [Contribution] EJB Hot deployment task
Date Mon, 25 Mar 2002 04:46:45 GMT
On 2002.03.24 23:20:27 -0500 Cyrille Morvan wrote:
> Hi Christopher,
>
> I tried to develop a JonasHotDeploy task for Apache Ant, and I have
> several
> comments (too) :
>
> - in EjbDeploy :
> instead of using a String to store the action, you should use a class
> implementing
> EnumeratedAttribute, so Ant could check the value, and the HotDeploy
> Tasks
> could share the action names.
> ( see EjbJar.NamingScheme )
>
> - is it possible to replace
> ACTION_UPDATE = "update"
> by
> ACTION_REDEPLOY = "redeploy"
> because you're already using the action names : deploy and undeploy .
>
> - I don't understand the difference between the action DELETE and
> UNDEPLOY ??
>
> - I need to add specific Java Virtual Machine arguments when I start the
> JonasAdmin tool.
> I think, other vendors need it. Can you add a method :
>
> protected String getJVMArguments();
>
> - Vendors need specific classpath, so you can keep the general classpath
> (in EJbDeploy),
> but you must add a specific classpath for each vendor implementation.
> And I want to construct a vendor ClassPath for JOnAS.
> You should add these methods to the AbstractEjbHotDeploymentTool
>
> public setClasspath(Path);
> public Path getClasspath();
> protected abstract Path getVendorClasspath();
>
> - In EjbDeploy, you should move the user, password and serverUrl to the
> AbstractEjbHotDeploymentTool, so we could use different password and url
> for each
> application server.
> I don't like the serverUrl name, ... can we use a more generic name :
> target ?
> JOnAS doesn't support (I think), http url deployment. Do you like
> "target" ?
>
> - is it possible to replace userName by username ? To respect Ant naming
> convention ?
>
> That's all
>
> Can you please send again as quick as possible a new version of your tool
> ?
> So I will submit a JonasHotDeploy tool, maybe before the JBoss version
> !!!
> ( hehehe ) .... :)))))
> ( A message for the JBoss developers who are reading me : I love you ....
> )
I haven't exactly been following this closely but I guess I'll take the
bait...

JBoss users have always had an ant-based deploy tool in copy (==deploy) and
delete(==undeploy).  What advantage is there to wrapping these up in an add
on to some other task? Or is there some reason you'd want to call the
deployer through a jmx connector?

Thanks
david jencks