ant-dev mailing list archives

From Darrell DeBoer <darr...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [myrmidon] api.metadata.Model*
Date Sun, 24 Mar 2002 02:41:05 GMT
On Sat, 23 Mar 2002 16:54, Peter Donald wrote:
> On Sat, 23 Mar 2002 11:57, Adam Murdoch wrote:
> > * AspectManager uses Parameters.  AspectManager is getting axed, right?
>
> maybe ... probably ... theres a few things they are useful for (actually
> only one thing I can think of atm - that being preferences) that are not
> better satisfied by other mechanisms. We will see I guess :)
>
> > > Not sure - is it still worth going to Model* rather than Config*
> > > ? The only
> > > advantage I see is that it is a smaller interface. The
> > > disadvantage I see is
> > > code duplication and you lose all the getAttributeAs*
> > > getContentAs* helper
> > > methods - but then again they will only be used by handwritten
> > > self-configuring tasks.
> >
> > And we want to make that as painful as possible :)
>
> oh - i c ;)

In fact, these conversion methods on Configuration could prove quite
confusing, because they bypass the Myrmidon Converter framework. In other
words, someone using:
   Configuration.getAttributeAsBoolean()
in a self-configuring Task wouldn't necessarily get the same result as a
regular Task using:
    void setAttribute( Boolean value)
would.

Maybe we'd want to implement helper conversion methods on TaskModel, but make
sure that they use the Converters available.

--
ciao,
Daz