ant-dev mailing list archives

From Peter Donald <pe...@apache.org>
Subject Re: cvs commit: jakarta-ant/proposal/myrmidon/src/java/org/apache/myrmidon/components/builder TransformingProjectBuilder.java ant1convert.xsl DefaultProjectBuilder.java Resources.properties
Date Fri, 22 Mar 2002 01:28:30 GMT
On Fri, 22 Mar 2002 12:26, Darrell DeBoer wrote:
> On Fri, 22 Mar 2002 09:36, Peter Donald wrote:
> > On Wed, 20 Mar 2002 14:42, Darrell DeBoer wrote:
> > > I quickly tried this out - the tools.jar extension didn't seem to be
> > > loaded when I renamed to ant1compat.jar.
> >
> > does ant1compat.jar declare a dependency on the tools.jar?
>
> Yep. There was no change from the working ant1compat.atl, except it was
> renamed to ant1compat.jar. But honestly, I didn't spend any time
> investigating further - will do.

Sounds like I am not doing proper resolution in the extensions package or
maybe myrmidon package - doh!

> Sorry if this doesn't make sense - I'm not 100% on the intricacies of
> classloading (make that 25%, but currently learning). In fact I had not
> heard of the concept of "multi-parent" classloaders until recently. I
> assume that such a classloader still has one true parent (as in
> ClassLoader.getParent()), but has a list of other classloaders to delegate
> to in it's
> ClassLoader.findClass() method.

MultiParent Classloaders basically assume a number of parents that each have
disjoint sets of classes loadable from them. So in theory if you search
through them all you will only find one possible .class for each name.

> If this is possible, it sounds like it might be a good potential solution,
> which avoids having to create a complex hierarchical tree of classloaders
> to handle dependencies, but also avoids having to push everything shared
> into a single, top-level classloader. I guess the only problem is where a
> dependency uses statics, and each user of that dependency expects a private
> copy.

Theres a few issues. One of them being that this doesn't really behave lik
eother container based system, I dunno - I prefer to cross that bridge when
we have to not before - maybe we come up with a better scheme in end.

--
Cheers,

Pete