ant-dev mailing list archives

From Jose Alberto Fernandez <j_a_fernan...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: Name collisions
Date Thu, 07 Mar 2002 17:50:39 GMT
 --- Stefan Bodewig <bodewig@apache.org> wrote: > On
Tue, 5 Mar 2002, Jose Alberto Fernandez
> <j_a_fernandez@yahoo.com>
> wrote:
>
> > If a container implements the interfaces for 3
> different roles (with
> > different interfaces) there is very little that
> one can do.
>
> Wait, I know that you are implementing roles that
> way in your antlib
> proposal, but it seems that Conor, Peter, Adam and
> myself prefer roles
> to be based on the type of the thing to add, not of
> the containing
> element.

Which is backward incompatible with ANT1.x due to
Tasks and data-types and TaskContainer signatures.

Can you explain how to have general roles in ANT1.x,
your way without filling the code with special cases
for backward compatibility?

> I think Adam has explained how Myrmidon deals with
> name clashes in a
> context where roles are not determined by the
> container.

I do this same thing already. My only point is that in
certain cases you can warn te user much earlier (at
the moment where the declaration happens) and not wait
until the usage.

> > So, even without <antlib> what shall we do in
> ANT1.x with the fact
> > that task and typedef declarations do not check
> accross each other.
> > That is a bug, since no warning or error is sent,
> but the
> > declaration is ignored.
>
> I agree, but I won't touch it know as I want to wait
> how Costin is
> going to address this - I'm sure he'll do - in the
> TaskFactory
> proposal he's working on.

Well, my proposal also has factories. I could have
just decide myself and implement some behavior. I
guess I was trying to be nice and see if we can get a
concensus. But if the answer is, "whatever Costin will
do is good and anything else is bad" well I guess I
should just forget about asking and just pick a
solution myself.

Some times it fills like there is not an even playing
field not even when doing proposals :-(

Jose Alberto