ant-dev mailing list archives

From Jose Alberto Fernandez <j_a_fernan...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: jspc and magic compiler attribute
Date Thu, 07 Mar 2002 12:35:07 GMT
 --- Stefan Bodewig <bodewig@apache.org> wrote: > On
Thu, 7 Mar 2002, Jose Alberto Fernandez
> <j_a_fernandez@yahoo.com>
> wrote:
>
> > So, how do I write a buildfile that can deploy
> JSPs in
> > weblogic or websphere or jboss etc etc without
> needing
> > to change the buildfile?
>
> Like Eric said:
>
> >> compiler="${jspc.compiler}".
>
> on all <jspc> tasks.  Define jspc.compiler as jasper
> in the build file
> and override it with -Djspc.compiler=jrun on the
> command line.

That is fine, but since the name of the property is
left to the buildfile writer, for every file I will
need to go and look and understand the file and then
set my environment appropriatelly for that buildfile.

The advantage I see with magic properties is
consistency we just need to set which javac to use one
in our defaults and it will be used by all our
buildfiles everywere. I think that is really nice.

I also think we should provide the attribute, even for
<javac> for those cases in which a buildfile writer
wants tighter control of the build.

But in general, generic "magic" properties should not
need to be a bad thing, but we have never formalize
then and document them properly, IMHO.

Jose Alberto