ant-dev mailing list archives

From Peter Donald <pe...@apache.org>
Subject Re: cvs commit: jakarta-ant/proposal/sandbox/embed ProjectHelperImpl.java
Date Wed, 06 Mar 2002 00:15:12 GMT
On Wed, 6 Mar 2002 10:11, costinm@covalent.net wrote:
> On Wed, 6 Mar 2002, Peter Donald wrote:
> > >   I manually did what the compiler would do - now it should work
> > >   with any compiler.
> > >
> > >   ( the runtime exception was a "Verifier error, expecting object/array
> > > on stack" )
> >
> > Jikes1.15 is completely and utterly busted. I would highly recomend you
> > don't use it as your "reference" compiler.
>
> I had similar problems with gcj. I know jikes1.15 has problems, and I
> assume other compilers will likely be tricked by inner classes.

Maybe.

> What happens at compile time to support inner classes is very tricky and
> unexpected ( by most people ). The compiler removes 'private' and adds
> parameters to methods  - the first one does have security implications
> ( not an issue for ant ). I think it is far better to avoid the magic and
> pass the parameters explicitely - and as a benefit the code will compile
> and work with more compilers.

Yep. I generally have have a no-innerclasses policy unless they are static
and don't access any variables from parent class. Too many things that people
don't understand - I think your only the 4th person who has ever struck me as
knowing how inner classes really behave (and 2 of the others were JVM
implementors).

--
Cheers,

Pete