ant-dev mailing list archives

From Peter Donald <pe...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Name collisions
Date Mon, 04 Mar 2002 02:12:02 GMT
On Mon, 4 Mar 2002 11:29, Jose Alberto Fernandez wrote:
> To make clear what is the situation I am referring to let me formalize it:
>
>     - Given two roles, A & B, triggered by the same container interface
> (e.g., task and data-type) and given that a particular element name, N, is
> registered in role A, what should be the correct behaviour when one
> attempts to register N in B.
>
>     Should the new definition be (a) rejected; (b) override the definition
> on A; (c) ignored.

Its a difficult question to answer 100% I think - because DataTypes in Ant1.x
are used within same namespace. In practice I think it would be a good idea
to make the base datatype class extend Task. I am not sure how feasible that
is but it would solve quite a few of the inconsistencies with the model.

However if that is not the way then we should follow the same pattern we use
for properties (ie silently ignore redefinitions unless go via a *privlidged*
method). This is mainly for consistency.

In ant2 it is likely that we will have types in different roles with the same
shorthand name. For instance myrmidon has a "classic" ProjectBuilder, a
"classic" Configurerr and a "classic" ProjectListener (all emulating ant1.x
behaviour).

Not sure - thoughts?

--
Cheers,