ant-dev mailing list archives

From Peter Donald <pe...@apache.org>
Subject Re: TaskAdapter and execute()
Date Sun, 03 Mar 2002 07:58:39 GMT
On Sun, 3 Mar 2002 17:11, Adam Murdoch wrote:
> > Ants pattern are not beanish but antish and people learn the
> > difference fast
> > so I don't think it is a huge problem.
>
> This is probably as good a reason as any to change back.  Ant 1's pattern
> works quite nicely.  As you say, the benefits of moving away from it are
> probably not worth the effort.
>
> And its a better match to what mutant does too, which can't be a bad thing.
>
> So who's going to do the work to change everything? :)

I can do it if you want because I want to get the new snazzy Xdoclet task
doco generation suystem working with myrmidon. However if you want to do it I
wont be complaining ;)

> > > I think meta-info is the answer here.
> >
> > I don't - meta-info is a workaround for something that isn't clear
> > enough.
>
> Yes, exactly.  Adder/setter methods are only so expressive, and we've
> gotten to the point where we're straining that expressiveness.  Even this
> 'what does setX() and addX() mean?' question is an example.  There's a
> bunch of equally valid patterns we could apply, but we can only choose one.
>  Whichever we choose is going to be the wrong one.  This is where meta-info
> will help.  We choose a pattern, and if it's the wrong one for a particular
> type, then the type writer can use the meta-info to tell us.

kool.

> > I have already started a info descriptor system. Will commit it sometime
> > soonish when I start testing it out ;)
>
> Check it in.  Doesn't have to work; it will soon enough.

I just went and played with it some more and decided it sucked ;) Will look
at it again on tuesday.

BTW did you read over the docs I uploaded? Like/dislike? I am not sure they
are entirely accurate wrt Myrmidon but they mirror my original intentions ;)

--
Cheers,

Pete