ant-dev mailing list archives

From Peter Donald <>
Subject Re: Order of attributes versus elements
Date Sat, 02 Mar 2002 23:25:40 GMT
On Sat, 2 Mar 2002 21:05, Conor MacNeill wrote:
> >>Should this
> >>be specified in Ant1? How about Ant2? Alternatively, should it be left
> >>undefined? In that case Build files which rely on any particular order
> >>would be considered defective even if they happened to work
> >>
> >>Anyway, IMHO, I think this buildfile is broken.
> >
> > I wouldn't say that. I would say the task is broken. BTW I think you will
> > find that sort of construct in a few places (myrmidons build file for one
> > and it also used to be in ants build file).
> The construct is not broken and neither is the task. I'm happy to have
> <src> elements and srcDir attributes at the same time. What is broken is
> having two Java files for one class in the set of paths given to javac
> and expecting one of those paths to take precedence. The use of
> <exclude> elements is an indicator that this is a bit of a hack.

So let me get this correct. You are saying that it is a **hack** that if you
specify java files in compile list and then the compiler compiles these files
rather than those that happen to be on it search path?

"Wise men don't need advice. Fools don't take it."
                        -Benjamin Franklin

To unsubscribe, e-mail:   <>
For additional commands, e-mail: <>

View raw message