ant-dev mailing list archives

From Peter Donald <pe...@apache.org>
Subject Re: TaskAdapter and execute()
Date Sat, 02 Mar 2002 06:41:58 GMT
On Sat, 2 Mar 2002 15:27, Adam Murdoch wrote:
> What were the issues exactly?

Lack of control for task writer. ie Theres no way for a taskwriter to
explicitly state than they only want to expose feature X as an element - not
an attribute. Also the format of XML representation starts to be
significantly effected by presence of converters or not etc.

> I'd hate to see documentation generation be
> the sole reason we switch back.  I think the behaviour we have right now is
> already proving itself to be really powerful.  Sure, it makes generating
> docs harder, but it also makes writing tasks easier.  Given that there's
> going to be one documentation generator, and thousands of tasks, well, I
> think we want to stick with what we currently have.

After looking at it again I don't think it makes tasks easier to write. It
removes control from Task writers and the benefit is minimal. Personally I
would not mind something like

void setClassPath( Path p )
{
  addClassPath( p );
}

If I want to expose a value as an attribute aswell.

--
Cheers,

Pete