ant-dev mailing list archives

From Peter Donald <>
Subject Re: ClassLoaders ( was: Re: We need to stop the lies)
Date Fri, 01 Mar 2002 11:42:37 GMT
On Fri, 1 Mar 2002 15:51, Conor MacNeill wrote:
> > From: Peter Donald []
> >
> > Costin has proposed changes to ProjectHelper that are mostly
> > equivelent to
> > the ProjectBuilder abstraction I proposed. Basically a mechanism
> > to  to have
> > alternative strategys to build project objects. At one stage you
> > objected to
> > ProjectBuilder abstraction back ages ago. Though from your
> > comments recently
> > I don't think your objections still hold ?
> OK, I see what you are getting at. In mutant the core doesn't really care
> how project models are constructed. What interests the core is the model
> itself. The core expects to be given the model from the front-end code. How
> the front end built the model is not really relevant to how the core
> processes the model. Since the core never requests "building" of the
> project model, there is currently no need for the abstraction in mutant.
> How do you use the abstraction in myrmidon?

Similar but with an extra layer essentially. The actual runtime doesn't care
how Project is constructed and that has little effect on how it is processed.
Myrmidon however has an extra layer between frontend and the engine - namely
the Embeddor.

The Embeddor was designed to make it easy to embed ant into other productsa
with minimal of fuss. Basically it is a simple facade that makes embedding
easier. One of the methods it supports looks something like

Project buildProject( String location,
                      String builderType,
                      Parameters buildParams );

This will then use BuilderType and buildParams to go look up a ProjectBuilder
(by default it uses standard File/URL based builder) and then build project
from specified location. You can still build it manually if needed but in
most cases you want to build it from a resource.

| Does the name `Pavlov' ring a bell? |

To unsubscribe, e-mail:   <>
For additional commands, e-mail: <>

View raw message