ant-dev mailing list archives

From David Jencks <davidjen...@directvinternet.com>
Subject Re: Order of attributes versus elements
Date Fri, 01 Mar 2002 13:34:05 GMT
In JBoss, we are currently using a startup/deployment sequence that goes
something like this:

1. Each component gets all its config values, and has "create" called.  It
is expected to make things it exposes to the outside world available, but
not be able to do anything yet.

2. Each component gets "start" called: it is expected to look around for
the components it needs to do its work, and get ready to work.  I don't
think this would be relevant to ant, but if a needed component is missing,
the needing component waits to start till it appears.

Just to be gratuitous, I'll repeat my assertion that a lot of aspects of
ant might be simpler if it was built using jmx.

thanks
david jencks

On 2002.03.01 06:43:44 -0500 Conor MacNeill wrote:
> I have been debugging a mutant Gump error. The cause is pretty
> interesting. The build in question, jakarta-avalon-excalibur, assumes
> that nested Elements are created/configured before attributes are set.
> This is never true in mutant and so it causes a build problem. It is at
> least sometimes true in Ant1, but I don't think it is always true. I'd
> appreciate opinions on whether this is something Ant should guarantee.
<snip>