ant-dev mailing list archives

From "Steve Loughran" <stev...@iseran.com>
Subject Re: [xdocs] Feature Requests
Date Thu, 07 Mar 2002 00:25:48 GMT

----- Original Message -----
From: "Erik Hatcher" <jakarta-ant@ehatchersolutions.com>
To: "Ant Developers List" <ant-dev@jakarta.apache.org>
Sent: Wednesday, March 06, 2002 15:22
Subject: Re: [xdocs] Feature Requests

> I think you and Peter are missing something (or I am!).  If we only feed
> JUnitTask.java into XDoclet because only that file changed, then how would
> we enumerate the elements for FormatterElement (addFormat)?  You can't
> (again, unless I'm missing something major here).

if commits are an issue, build to a separate location and then only copy
over to CVS those files which differ from the original

../I wonder if we need a better paradigm for uptodateness than just
timestamps; just like with <mapper> you could have a plugin <depender> which
provided dependency rules for tasks like copy, javac, ftp, etc.

the basic depender would be timestamp, but there is the <depends>
implementation on a bytecode driven depender; checksum and 'filesdifferent'
based dependers would do more detailed matching...etc.

I am not proposing this for 1.5; I think there are enough radical features
there once costins and the antlib work is finalized (*) that we have way too
much to test and document. But for the 2.x model, plug in dependencies would
seem to go with plug in file name mappings