ant-dev mailing list archives

From "Jose Alberto Fernandez" <j_a_fernan...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: ClassLoaders ( was: Re: We need to stop the lies)
Date Sat, 02 Mar 2002 12:32:08 GMT
From: "Peter Donald" <peter@apache.org>

> > > Implement it as tasks and you are much higher chance of getting it in.
> >
> > Well, given your ( completely unjustified IMHO, but unfortunately
> > seconded by another commiter, so validated ) -1 on the TaskAdapter
> > improvements I'm not very inclined to get anything in - what can be
> > implemented as a task can be kept outside without any problem
> > and interference. I strongly believe we already have too many
> > tasks in ant, and grouping them in libraries is better.
> >
> > I'm focusing on adding the hooks I need and making the core
> > changes only.
>
> You don't need any changes to ants core tasks to implement the functionality.
> You could quite easily go to commons and implement it over there against
> ant1.4.1

When I look at the core I see direct calls to TaskAdapter, and I see
direct calls to Class.newInstance() to create a task.

That seems to me stops any posibility of adding new tasks that use
a different factory pattern to create themselves. It also stops any
change for people to define a different name space for their extended
tasks because there is no way to plug them into core.

> Given how unlikely it is that your changes will be accepted into the main
> tree I would recomend that as the best path forward.

The only thing I see of doing this is with something like:

<target ...>
    <extended-task>
        <myExtendedTask ....>
        <!-- I would like to put here regular tasks also
            but that is imposible given the current rules for TaskContainer -->
    </extended-task>
</target>

Now, how ugly is that?

The truth of the matter is that there is very little in this regard that can be done
without touching core.

Jose Alberto