ant-dev mailing list archives

From "Erik Hatcher" <>
Subject Re: XDocs Proposal: sample HTML output!
Date Fri, 01 Mar 2002 11:52:31 GMT
I've applied your patches - many thanks!  I'm glad this "little" proposal is
being seen, used, and patched by others.

----- Original Message -----
From: "Bill Burton" <>

> Attached (hopefully) is a generated HTML version of the uptodate task.  In
> the parameters table, I threw in the type just to make it more
> interesting.  It would have been fairly easy to make it only show the
> class without the package but handling of types would be better done in
> the XDoclet Ant support classes.

Yes, figuring out what to do with types is certainly at the AntTagsHandler
level when we decide how it should be done.

> One of the big things currently missing from the XML is the parameters for
> nested elements aren't getting generated so only the description can be
> displayed.  For a rough idea of what output could look like with
> parameters, go to
> and scroll
> down to the "Parameters specified as nested elements" section and look at
> the "tool" element.

Agreed.  Any suggestions on how to handle this?

What we need is similar XML generation for the datatypes out there as well
as any classes used as nested elements by tasks.  I know nothing of DVSL or
how easy it would be to incorporate that kind of info if you had another XML
file describing those paramters.  And I have a feeling it won't be trivial
work at the XDoclet/tags handler/subtask level to dynamically figure out
what the nested elements are and the process those - but that seems where we
need to go with it.  Then we have sub-elements of sub-elements, and so

For global datatypes that are nested elements, I don't think we need (or
want) to display the parameters for them, just hyperlink to their own

Again, thanks for your work on this - its coming together nicely.

To unsubscribe, e-mail:   <>
For additional commands, e-mail: <>

View raw message