ant-dev mailing list archives

From "Magesh Umasankar" <umag...@apache.org>
Subject Re: CVS commit errors
Date Mon, 04 Mar 2002 02:17:48 GMT
From: "Erik Hatcher" <jakarta-ant@ehatchersolutions.com>

> I often get this:
>
> cvs server: failed to create lock directory for `/home/cvs'
> (/home/cvs/#cvs.lock): Permission denied
> cvs server: lock failed - giving up
> cvs [server aborted]: lock failed - giving up
>
> when attempting to checkin a handful of files.  But not always.  Is it
> something on my end?  Or the CVS server?  Any fixes?

There are a couple of cvs pedant perl scripts operating
on the background that checks user permission, collects diffs,
etc. before mailing out the commit message.  It is one of
these scripts (logaccum.pl, IIRC) that tries to create temp
files beginning with #cvs. in /home/cvs.  It usually cleans
up the temp file created once the operation is done.
I suspect you get a permission denied when somebody
else has created a similar "lock" file while you
are attempting to.  I don't know enough to patch the
script, though ;-(

> Thanks,
>     Erik

Cheers,