ant-dev mailing list archives

From "Erik Hatcher" <jakarta-...@ehatchersolutions.com>
Subject Re: Exporting a Project Instance
Date Fri, 22 Mar 2002 01:06:53 GMT

----- Original Message -----
From: "stephan beal" <stephan@wanderinghorse.net>

> On Friday 22 March 2002 00:28, jbjk@mac.com wrote:
> > I have identified two approaches to achieve this.  One is to get all
> > tasks to implement a toXML method.  These methods would return an XML
> > String representing that task instance.  This obviously requires a lot
> > of code changes.
>
> With a serialize-to-xml framework it becomes pretty simple. i know one
exists
> in Java, but i can't remember the name.

I don't think its quite that simple.... how would such a framework get
attribute values and such to reconstruct the XML?  There are typically no
getters on Ant tasks to return back attributes and sub-elements.

And also, keep in mind that an Ant task does not necessarily extend Task....
the only requirement to being an Ant task is implementing an execute()
method!

    Erik