ant-dev mailing list archives

From "Erik Hatcher" <jakarta-...@ehatchersolutions.com>
Subject Re: jspc and magic compiler attribute
Date Thu, 07 Mar 2002 12:57:23 GMT
----- Original Message -----
From: "Jose Alberto Fernandez" <j_a_fernandez@yahoo.com>

> > on all <jspc> tasks.  Define jspc.compiler as jasper
> > in the build file
> > and override it with -Djspc.compiler=jrun on the
> > command line.
>
> That is fine, but since the name of the property is
> left to the buildfile writer, for every file I will
> need to go and look and understand the file and then
> set my environment appropriatelly for that buildfile.

Sheesh!  You sure do know how to make a mountain out of a mole hill!  :)

> The advantage I see with magic properties is
> consistency we just need to set which javac to use one
> in our defaults and it will be used by all our
> buildfiles everywere. I think that is really nice.

Yeah, but how do you set debug="..."?  No magic property for that - sure
would be nice though, huh?  All of this "preference" kinda thing is on the
slate (or should be?) for Ant2, right?  We should somehow be able to set up
how we want <javac> to act by default and not need to specify things over
and over.

> I also think we should provide the attribute, even for
> <javac> for those cases in which a buildfile writer
> wants tighter control of the build.

Uh, have you looked at the latest codebase?  Its there.

> But in general, generic "magic" properties should not
> need to be a bad thing, but we have never formalize
> then and document them properly, IMHO.

No doubt that they are not formalized or documented well. (patches welcome!
:)

I'm on the fence about magic properties and whether they are good or bad.
But I would say we shouldn't add new ones until we formalize it more or for
Ant2.

    Erik