ant-dev mailing list archives

From "Erik Hatcher" <jakarta-...@ehatchersolutions.com>
Subject Re: [Contribution] EJB Hot deployment task
Date Sun, 24 Mar 2002 14:19:18 GMT
Chris,

I'm about to commit your submission, barring any last minute objections from
other committers.  It looks good - a few issues/questions though:

- EjbDeploy currently only allows a single vendorTool to be nested.  It
would be better if you kept a collection of vendor tools and iterated over
them in execute() so that you could deploy to multiple servers in one shot.
Does that seem like a reasonable enhancement?

- Don't forget to patch defaults.properties and perhaps other documentation
files when you submit these things - these are the little details that we
committers have to take care of before committing contributions :)

- Is there a reason that AbstractEjbHotDeploymentTool extends Task?  It
seems like an unnecessary thing to me.

- I realize only the Weblogic implementation is done so far, but it seems
that perhaps an execute() on AbstractEjbHotDeploymentTool would be better so
that the vendor-specific deployment tool implementation is responsible for
how it actually works - more than likely it will be a Java invocation, but
conceivably it could be executing a .bat/.sh or other type of executable,
right?

- I personally shy away from doing project.createTask. Perhaps it should be
refactored to hook into how the <java> task works under the hood rather than
invoking it indirectly in this way.  Thats just a personal preference of
mine, although I suppose there is merit to the indirection.  At the very
least it seems that the Java task usage should be invoked from the
vendor-specific implementation of AbstractEjbHotDeploymentTool rather than
directly from EjbDeploy - although AbstractEjbHotDeploymentTool could
contain the common Java invocation code perhaps so that vendor-specific code
could reuse it.

Thanks for the good work - none of my comments above are show stoppers (to
me) for committing it since it looks good and can evolve based on these
comments.  It is my hope that you are sticking around ant-dev to help
maintain these tasks!  I cannot really test them as I don't use Weblogic -
so hurry up and get the JBoss implementation done so I can give it a try!
:)  Or if you are really brave, give a WebSphere one a try - which I can
probably test also, somewhat painfully - but WebSphere is painful no matter
what.

    Erik