ant-dev mailing list archives

From "Jose Alberto Fernandez" <j_a_fernan...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: ProjectComponentHelper and adapters
Date Thu, 14 Mar 2002 08:27:43 GMT
From: "Peter Donald" <peter@apache.org>

> On Thu, 14 Mar 2002 10:57, Jose Alberto Fernandez wrote:
> > If we can get rid of the bookeeping to invalidate tasks, that would be
> > fantastic. That would mean that once a task in a target is resolved to a
> > particular definition, that definition stays in place. Since in regular ANT
> > each target is evaluated only once, I see no issue here (multiple execs via
> > <antcall> use reparsing). The only case in which multiple execs of a target
> > are possible is via <script> and in that case I am not even clear if you
> > really get tasks resolved every time. I think this is such a funny ussage
> > that we can really forget about it.
>
> It sucks but people do reuse tasks from within scripts and everynow and again
> we will get people sending patches to fixup tasks that don't cleanup after
> themselves properly. Thus we can't remove that functionality.

But we are not talking about clean-up code here. What we are talking about is
the code that when a <taskdef>/<typedef> is executed goes through all resolved
tasks (task already associated with an actual task instance) and unresolves those
whose definition was modified by the <*def>. If we do not do early binding anymore
there should not be any need for unresolving things after actually been used (executed).

How do we do clean-up of task being reused over and over, that is a different matter.

Jose Alberto