ant-dev mailing list archives

From "Steve Schirripa" <steveschirr...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: Count Task
Date Wed, 13 Mar 2002 14:19:43 GMT
Val,

  Does this do a physical or logical line count? If physical (meaning it
counts all physical lines, excluding blanks and comments), this might
require the developer(s) to adhere to a strict coding standard (which they
should anyway) before this makes sense.

  If it is logical, then a physical line would possibly be counted as
several logical lines (and vice versa). Some people in the industry prefer
logical line counters and others physical line counters - the debate rages
on...

  Implementing logical line counters are tricky, and this is best achieved
by creating a class hierarchy/framework that supports plugging in logical
line counters for different languages, and possibly even the same language
(people define a line of code differently).

  I have also recently implemented something like this, except I focused on
Java and C++ as my target languages. Right now I have defined for myself a
coding standard and a line of code counter that adheres to it. Both
languages have a filter and a counter that adhere to a common interface.

  Unfortunately, I am far from being able to submit my work to the group, so
I just wanted to put in my 2 cents as you go forward with this effort. I
personally find it useful, especially in a situation where you are
collecting metrics such as defect rates.

Good luck,
-Steve