ant-dev mailing list archives

From "Jose Alberto Fernandez" <j_a_fernan...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: suggestion for if/unless syntax change
Date Fri, 22 Mar 2002 08:08:46 GMT
From: "Adam Murdoch" <adammurdoch_ml@yahoo.com>

> > From: Jose Alberto Fernandez [mailto:j_a_fernandez@yahoo.com]
> >

> > So, is there a way to test if a property is set? Is this coordinated with
> > other things like <condition>, <available>, etc?
> >
> > All this things need to play toguether, well.
>

> Absolutely.  There's a bunch of condition implementations, and you can use
> whichever one you like, or invent your own.  The goal is to allow any
> condition to be use whereever the standard if/unless conditions are.  At the
> moment, conditions can only be used in a few places: <condition>, <waitfor>,
> <fileset>, and (almost) <if>.  More on the way ...
>
> BTW, <available> is just a condition now, rather than a task.  And it's been
> split up into <class-available>, <resource-available>, <file-exists>,
etc.

Humm. I think we are mixing two different things: (1) "if" attribute of <target>, <exclude>,
etc;
and (2) <if> task. They are kind of different things, in my opinion.

What I meant by coordinate, was that if the attribute now checks for "false", then
<available> and such should set things to "false" when the condition is false.
They work the way they do in ANT1.x because the "if" attribute works the way it does.

> > IMHO, a much more useful thing (instead of changing completely
> > the meaning of 'if')
> > is to actually let it check for a particular value. I guess I
> > wrote such a patch
> > in ANT 1.1 (or was it 1.0).
> >
> >     <target .... if='prop=true'/>
> >
> > this is a fully backward compatible and more useful thing to have, IMO.
> >

> Well, arguably more useful.  This is why we want to get away from forcing a
> particular test, and let the build file writer decide which is more useful
> for them.  on the other hand, we do want to come up with a reasonable
> default test, to use as shorthand.

Notice I am talking about the "if" attribute, not the <if> task. You cannot change
the implementation of it (I do not think).

Jose Alberto