ant-dev mailing list archives

From "Erik Hatcher" <jakarta-...@ehatchersolutions.com>
Subject Re: PATCH: AbstractCvsTask
Date Fri, 22 Mar 2002 13:31:51 GMT
----- Original Message -----
From: "stephan beal" <stephan@wanderinghorse.net>
To: "Ant Developers List" <ant-dev@jakarta.apache.org>
Sent: Friday, March 22, 2002 7:48 AM
Subject: Re: PATCH: AbstractCvsTask

> On Friday 22 March 2002 13:44 pm, you wrote:
> > I think a better syntax is:
> >
> >     <cvs...>
> >         <command...>
> >             <arg...>
> >         </command>
> >     </cvs>

use so
that
> > you can take advantage of the line/file/path capabilities.
> >
> > Seem reasonable?
>
> Seems not only perfectly reasonable but consistent with the existing
objects.
> But horribly unweildy ;). i imagine that almost nobody will be using this
> feature except to update specific files (i would happily be wrong - i'm
only
> imagining what *i* want it for). If that is indeed the case, this syntax
is
> much more unweildy than simply handling it via the character data. (Then
> again, if <command> supports 'outputfile=...', then it would also be
useful
> for creating patches.)
>
> i'm not saying i won't do it, i'm just saying it's overkill :). This'd be
> good weekend project for me, though.

Its the Ant-way(tm)  :)

Ant's XML syntax certainly appears unweildy and "overkill" in lots of
places, but thats just the nature of turning a "language" into XML and still
try to make it as flexible and declarative as possible.  Breaking things
into <arg>'s allows for Ant to do the absolute file conversion (file
attribute) and cross-platform path conversion (path).  But I'm not sure if
that kind of stuff is applicable to cvs command-line or not.

Also, eventually it would be nice to start to unify our SCM tasks more and
more, although that is probably overkill for you! :)  Its going to be a goal
of the virtual filesystem that Adam is working on, I believe.

    Erik