ant-dev mailing list archives

From Stefan Bodewig <bode...@apache.org>
Subject Re: What is going on in ANT1.x
Date Fri, 08 Feb 2002 10:33:06 GMT
On Fri, 8 Feb 2002, Adam Murdoch <adammurdoch_ml@yahoo.com> wrote:

>> From: Stefan Bodewig [mailto:bodewig@apache.org]
>
>> Are you proposing to refactor the project building code (which
>> would be fine) without care for backwards compatibility (which
>> would get my -1 if you want to do it in Ant 1.x)?
>
> No, not without care for backwards compatibility.  But not strictly
> 100% backwards compatible either.

So we'd have to judge on a case by case basis whether we can afford to
drop backwards compatibilty in certain areas.  We break it at the code
level all the time (by changing the types of method arguments fro
example) when we feel it is a low risk area.

Let's see where you'd end up with the refactoring and decidewhen we
know, which areas we would break.  We could make Gump the judge, but
I'm not sure whether there are any build files that use <script> in
Gump (most projects that depend on BSF seem to need it for scripting
support themselves).

> This is the 'compatibility hit' I was talking about - breaking some
> tasks, to give us more room to move.

It all comes down to how strong that hit would be, i.e. how many tasks
we'd break.

Stefan