ant-dev mailing list archives

From Stefan Bodewig <bode...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Compilation error in VAJWorkspaceScanner
Date Mon, 25 Feb 2002 08:26:07 GMT
On Sun, 24 Feb 2002, Jon Skeet <jon.skeet@peramon.com> wrote:

> Unfortunately, I get what seems to be a reasonable error on
> compilation:
>
> VAJWorkspaceScanner.match(Strin,String) Cannot reduce the visibility
> of the inherited method from org.apache.tools.ant.DirectoryScanner.

We finally have a committer who has access to the VAJ classes, woohoo!

You see the problem, nobody has been able to even try to compile them.

In this particular case, the method in VAJWorkspaceScanner may have
been necessary as match has been protected in DirectoryScanner until
2001-11-21.

> Any thoughts about why this is a bad idea? Does a tool like this
> already exist?

I think Conor has been doing something like this with faked
implementations for the starteam classes, but we didn't have a chance
to do the same in the VAJ case (no accessible javadocs or something).

The only reasons not to do something like this are suspected legal
problems.

Stefan