ant-dev mailing list archives

From Stefan Bodewig <bode...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Allowing for a "generic" .antrc & antrc_{pre,post].bat
Date Wed, 27 Feb 2002 16:41:27 GMT
On Tue, 26 Feb 2002, Diane Holt <holtdl@yahoo.com> wrote:

> Rather than go into the specific things I needed it to do, a more
> recent use-case is this thing of people wanting to say (eg.) 'ant
> prod' and have it basically be the equivalent of 'ant
> -Dtarget=prod'.

I guess this would be something that is specific to a given project
rather than an Ant installation.  So you probably want to use ./.antrc
as well to allow project specific overrides.

I'm not convinced by the use case and fear that something like .antrc
could become a nightmare in larger installations.

This may be far-fetched, but do you want to answer "Why does 'ant foo'
run the default target instead of target foo" questions by first
asking for the content of ANT_HOME/.antrc, just to realize that some
bozo has inserted a "shift" in there?

Stefan