ant-dev mailing list archives

From Stefan Bodewig <>
Subject Re: Multiple patternsets in a fileset
Date Mon, 18 Feb 2002 08:25:25 GMT
On Mon, 18 Feb 2002, Jose Alberto Fernandez <>
> From: "Erik Hatcher" <>
>> From: "Bruce Atherton" <>
>> > I'd like to challenge that design. To my mind, it is seriously
>> > broken, and saying "It's not a bug, it's a feature" is no answer.
>> I don't view it as broken, I just view it as "that is the way it
>> is".
>> There are other glaringly difficult issues with other datatypes
>> that cannot be resolved in the 1.x codebase.
> What is exactly what will break on the Datatype?

It's not a question of whether it would break the API, it would change
the behavior of existing build files.  As Erik said, to him the
current behavior is intuitive - and there a quite a few people for
whom the same is true and they've created their build files around the
current behavior.

> OK, maybe I am naive, but is there anyone who writes multiple
> patterns expecting them to be mush together at the end?

<fileset ...>
  <patternset refid="exclude-jdk-1.2+" />
  <patternset refid="exclude-jdk-1.1" />
  <patternset refid="exclude-no-jai" />
  <patternset refid="exclude-no-jmf" />

taken from one of my build files.  Each patternset is only a
collection of excludes that lists files that require certain
conditions to be present - this will certainly break unless all
exclude patterns are applied at the same time.

> I would think that writing builds like that will produce
> incomprenhensible buildfiles.

I don't think so - the alternative to above case would be to only
define a single patternset with all excludes in it, which would
probably be less readable.

To unsubscribe, e-mail:   <>
For additional commands, e-mail: <>

View raw message