ant-dev mailing list archives

From Stefan Bodewig <bode...@apache.org>
Subject Re: What is going on in ANT1.x
Date Wed, 06 Feb 2002 09:08:24 GMT
On Wed, 6 Feb 2002, Adam Murdoch <adammurdoch_ml@yahoo.com> wrote:

> This is the magic of UnknownElement, which extends Task, but can
> turn itself into a data type.

<very good description snipped />

> There's some very brittle stuff in there.

It is, most of it is mine and I'm not proud of it ...

> We would do far worse than to refactor the project building code,
> and take the compatibility hit.

I'm not sure whether I'm parsing this correctly.

Are you proposing to refactor the project building code (which would
be fine) without care for backwards compatibility (which would get my
-1 if you want to do it in Ant 1.x)?

Thinking about the situation Jose Alberto describes, this bug is
breaking our type system, but at the same time it allows data types to
be defined inside TaskContainers, which makes them parallel targets
even stronger.  I kind of like this and tend to call it a feature 8-)

Stefan