ant-dev mailing list archives

From Stefan Bodewig <bode...@apache.org>
Subject Re: What is going on in ANT1.x
Date Wed, 06 Feb 2002 10:38:17 GMT
On Wed, 6 Feb 2002, Jose Alberto Fernandez <j_a_fernandez@yahoo.com>
wrote:

> Yeap, it would have been nice if the list had had a
> chance to discuss the implementation before it was
> committed.

This is kind of difficult as we are not talking about a single commit.

You may remember that I've sent both the original implementation of
IntrospectionHelper and the RuntimeConfigurable/UnknownElement stuff
to the list before committing it - it is a long time ago, but you've
been here, I know that.

Back then, the code was not as brittle as it is right now - things
have evolved over time and features have been added or stuff got
rewriten to account for bugs and all that.  You know that, I'm sure.

At some point there is no other way to get rid of cruft than to
completely rewrite what started as something simple and turned into a
monster.

I see this rewrite happen in Ant2 as I'm afraid you cannot rewrite it
without breaking compatibility.  If Adam finds a way, I'll give him
all support he can get.

> One of the problems I see, is that when code gets put in by
> committers, in very few occacions other review the code.

I hope (and believe) that this is not true.

> Another solution which I think could be backward compatible is to
> have DataType extend Task and provide, possibly final,
> implementations for all the methods required by Task making them
> harmless.

This would work for the data types shipping with Ant, but there is
nothing in the code that forces a data type to extend DataType.

Stefan