ant-dev mailing list archives

From Stefan Bodewig <bode...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Official direction for xdocs
Date Mon, 18 Feb 2002 07:28:58 GMT
On Sat, 16 Feb 2002, Paul Hammant <Paul_Hammant@yahoo.com> wrote:
> Question : What is the official direction for xdocs?

There is none.

Most Jakarta projects (including Ant) use Anakia to transform XML
documents into HTML pages - the xdocs use a different DTD from
stylebook.  Anakia is available from the Velocity project and it is
linked from Ant's External Tools and Tasks page.

Then there is an optional <stylebook> task, but AFAIK stylebook is
more or less unmaintained.  jakarta-cactus uses <stylebook>.  What
have been the missing parts that made you build a special
optional.jar?

I've seen people use <style> directly instead of <stylebook>,
jakarta-avalon does so for example.

And then there are the examples of using <java> to invoke cocoon,
namely Cocoon itself, but I'd expect xml-forrest to do the same.
I wouldn't be surprised if a <cocoon> task would be shipped as part of
Cocoon in the future.

So my basic answer is that there is no "official direction for xdocs",
every project uses whatever the developers prefer to use.  In no case
there is a single download as Ant doesn't want to include all the
required libraries - well, if you use JDK 1.4, then you have a single
download in Ant when you use <style> directly as JDK 1.4 ships with a
(buggy) TraX compliant XSLT processor.

Stefan