ant-dev mailing list archives

From Stefan Bodewig <bode...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [WARN] Removing the file attribute from <zip> and friends tomorrow
Date Tue, 05 Feb 2002 09:04:45 GMT
On Tue, 5 Feb 2002, Peter Donald <peter@apache.org> wrote:
> On Tue, 5 Feb 2002 19:12, Stefan Bodewig wrote:
>>
>> I don't really understand this, sorry.
>
> What you dont understand why people or using it or why we should
> should support these people?

Why people would want to use one nightly build and adapt to it but not
want to adapt to yet another nightly build.

> It is trivial to update the projects at Apache and some of the ones
> at sourceforge. however it is not so easy to update others that are
> not opensource or that we can't contact.

Is it unreasonable to expect that people who use nightly builds of Ant
instead of released versions follow ant-dev?

> what exactly is the problem with these 3 lines?

That we are binding our own hands if we extend backwards compatibility
to the level of nightly builds.  <apply> would still be <transform> as
<fileset> and <prefixedfileset> and ...

It is not the problem of three lines, but a problem of how we want to
develop Ant.  If every change I make to Ant's code that adds an
attribute or nested element or task means I cannot change the name or
meaning of this thing while we are in alpha cycles, things will slow
down considerably.

Stefan