ant-dev mailing list archives

From Stefan Bodewig <bode...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Patternsets, Filesets, and Mapper
Date Wed, 27 Feb 2002 08:07:47 GMT
On Wed, 27 Feb 2002, <eoti@mind.net> wrote:

> What is the logic of the FileSet not handling mappers?

FileSets are sets of (existing) files. Mappers transform one set of
filenames into a different set of filenames.

> A PatternSet can represent a list of items (say, package names).

No, a PatternSet represents a a set of file name patterns, this is not
realted to package names at all.

> A FileSet can not be generated from this unless either the
> PatternSet or FileSet handle mappers.

Why not?

> Since PatternSet does not allow nested PatternSets, you can not use
> one PatternSet (package names) for the source of two FileSets (.java
> and .class) unless the FileSet handles mappers.

<patternset>
  <include name="org/apache/tools/ant/*" />
</patternset>

matches .class and .java files in the package org.apache.tools.ant.

<patternset>
  <include name="org/apache/tools/ant/*.java" />
  <include name="org/apache/tools/ant/*.class" />
</patternset>

makes sure you don't match anything that is not a .java or .class
file.

> By providing mapper capability to PatternSet and FileSet, all tasks
> immediately have the capability of taking this sort of input.

I'm not sure I understand which sort of input you are talking about.

> and PatternSets and FileSets are not very interchangeable.

Of course they aren't - they are completely different concepts.

Stefan