ant-dev mailing list archives

From Stefan Bodewig <bode...@apache.org>
Subject Re: no -O in javac 1.4?
Date Thu, 07 Feb 2002 07:02:13 GMT
On Wed, 6 Feb 2002, Steve Loughran <steve_l@iseran.com> wrote:
> The latest 1.4 docs:
> http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.4/docs/tooldocs/win32/javac.html do not
> document a -O option in javac;

I only have beta3 on my box - the documentation doesn't mention the -O
flag, but javac itself still accepts and lists it:

[bodewig@bodewig bodewig]$ javac
Usage: javac <options> <source files>
where possible options include:
  -g                        Generate all debugging info
  -g:none                   Generate no debugging info
  -g:{lines,vars,source}    Generate only some debugging info
  -O                        Optimize; may hinder debugging or enlarge class file  -nowarn
                  Generate no warnings
  -verbose                  Output messages about what the compiler is doing
  -deprecation              Output source locations where deprecated APIs are used
  -classpath <path>         Specify where to find user class files
  -sourcepath <path>        Specify where to find input source files
  -bootclasspath <path>     Override location of bootstrap class files
  -extdirs <dirs>           Override location of installed extensions
  -d <directory>            Specify where to place generated class files
  -encoding <encoding>      Specify character encoding used by source files
  -source <release>         Provide source compatibility with specified release
  -target <release>         Generate class files for specific VM version
  -help                     Print a synopsis of standard options

Don't know for the RC either, sorry.

> if -O is really gone, we need to cover that in <javac>, somehow.

Sure - we can do so the same way we are handling the depend attribute
(which went away in JDK 1.3).

Stefan