ant-dev mailing list archives

From Stefan Bodewig <bode...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Speaking of deprecation...
Date Thu, 14 Feb 2002 09:34:05 GMT
On Fri, 8 Feb 2002, <costinm@covalent.net> wrote:

> I really _hate_ the 'deprecated' message in ant. Especially when
> it's because someone has a different taste and doesn't like the old
> name.

Help us reword the message 8-)

Most of the time, it is not taste, but consistency that makes us
rename attributes.  Making all attributes that mean the same thing use
the same name accross all tasks makes it a lot easier, especially for
newbies.

> If you have a problem a feature, say -1 when it is added or before
> the release. Or before it is documented.

Some of the features that are considered bad now, have been there
before any current active committer of Ant (except Sam) had the power
to vote -1.

It probably is Conor's and my fault that property inheritance as it is
made it into Ant 1.1, we may have been too eager to get the first real
release of Ant out of the door - and at least I had not expected that
Ant would become that successfull as fast as it did, so that fixing
some things in Ant 1.2 already made us get a bad name for breaking
backwards compatibility all the time.

I don't think we've removed any deprecated features after the release
of 1.2, have we?

Stefan