ant-dev mailing list archives

From Stefan Bodewig <>
Subject Re: cullers
Date Wed, 27 Feb 2002 08:34:10 GMT
On Wed, 27 Feb 2002, Peter Donald <> wrote:

> * FileSet is a set

of existing files, agreed.

If we want to extend it to a more general set, that is fine with me,
but we'll have to rewrite lots of tasks as they rely on the "existing"
bit above.

> Currently mappers transformation abilities are stricted to the name
> attribute of the file - and this will likely remain the case with
> you about ;)

Oh, just convince me. 8-)

> Hence we end up having extensions of Fileset to apply transformation
> rather than a nested element. ie the Tarfileset has attributes to
> apply a set of permissions to fileset.

I wouldn't call this a transformation of the set, maybe this could be
handled by a different concept <decorator> or something similar.

What I'm trying to stress is that <tarfileset> (which could be a
<fileset> with a nested <decorator> that adds permissions) still
consists of existing files, while a set that has been transformed by a
<mapper> doesn't give the same guarantee - and it shouldn't.

To unsubscribe, e-mail:   <>
For additional commands, e-mail: <>

View raw message