ant-dev mailing list archives

From <cost...@covalent.net>
Subject Re: Speaking of deprecation...
Date Sun, 10 Feb 2002 20:16:14 GMT
On Sun, 10 Feb 2002, Sam Ruby wrote:

> Again, FWIW, I support the removal of deprecated features for which active
> users can't be identified.  And these discussions typically go round in
> circles without making forward progress unless there is a focus on specific
> items to be removed.  Blanket statements that nothing can ever be removed
> are provably equivalent to saying that bugs can't be fixed and features
> can't be added.  And wanton removal of features without regard to impact on
> the community which depends on Ant would be downright silly.

FWIW I support removal of features when it has a clear and well defined
motivation ( even if users can be identified ). Removing "dir" because
"directory" is a better name doesn't qualify. Removing Thread.stop()
because it can put your VM in an undefined state does.

For things between - I think we have to analyze them carefully. Your
example, XSLTLiaison - I'm +1 as long as the xml files work with the
new API ( which shouldn't be difficult ).

My concern is the XML file, and the documented core APIs, not
implementation details. I would be very happy with deprecating
ProjectHelper and replacing it with code that is namespace aware
 - but keeping the public methods and ProjectHelper class
as wrappers calling the new code. Especially if the new code
could be reused in other projects ( like axis, as a bean
deserializer ).

Costin