ant-dev mailing list archives

From <cost...@covalent.net>
Subject Re: Speaking of deprecation...
Date Sun, 10 Feb 2002 16:08:51 GMT
On Sat, 9 Feb 2002, Diane Holt wrote:

> --- costinm@covalent.net wrote:
> > I typically have at least 8 projects checked out at a time,
> > including 3 versions of tomcat, and I already have 2 versions
> > of ant installed.
>
> A-ha -- here's the essential difference between the way you do things vs.
> the way I do them. I never have build tools installed anywhere (as in,
> permanently resident on some machine somewhere) -- all my tools are source
> controlled. When someone pulls the source into a work area, the tools come

I never thought of checking in GCC and bash or gnumake with a project.
I allways assumed the build tools as separated - I may use netbeans or
eclipse which may have ant integrated.

I'm not sure I can get used with the idea of checking in the build tools
as a workaround for their incompatiblities. It is indeed more and more a
requirement for ant, and I'll have to do it ( it seems many projects have
a ant.jar checked in ). But that _bad_, and as ant is integrated with IDEs
it'll get worse.

Costin