ant-dev mailing list archives

From <cost...@covalent.net>
Subject Re: Speaking of deprecation...
Date Sun, 10 Feb 2002 03:13:46 GMT
On Sat, 9 Feb 2002, Jose Alberto Fernandez wrote:

> > What about if deprecation warnings were a different message level,
> > something like Project.MSG_DEPRECATED, perhaps between INFO and VERBOSE.
> > A command line option to show them or not would be possible and we could
> > print a summary at the end if there are any deprecated messages
> > received, just as javac does. It would also explicitly mark deprecated
> > tasks and attributes.
> >

> I think we are loosing sight of why the deprecation message is there.
>
>     IT IS THERE TO MAKE YOU UPGRADE YOUR BUILDFILE
>
> If people dislike the message, the easiest way to remove it is to FIX YOUR BUILD FILE
> or your old tasks.

I DON'T WANT TO UPGRADE THE BUILDFILE, and certainly not to be forced
to do that.

- you can write a makefile for a 10 year old make and it'll work with any
newer make. I don't have to upgrade my makefile with every release of gnu
make.
- you can write a html page that displays in netscape2.0. People don't
have to upgrade their pages every for every new browser.
- you can write a shell script that works with any version of bourne
shell in the last 10 years.
- same for java - most programs that work on JDK1.1 will still work ( even
without recompilation ) on JDK1.4.

Of course, each of this has exceptions - Thread.stop() -like ( i.e. a very
serious bug that is too dangerous to support ) or bugs or mistakes you
may have to work around. But in 99% of the cases it'll work.

I use deprecated features ( or things that have 'modern' replacements )
because I choose to, not because I'm stupid and need to be told
that every time I build.

Costin