ant-dev mailing list archives

From <cost...@covalent.net>
Subject Re: ClassLoaders ( was: Re: We need to stop the lies)
Date Fri, 01 Mar 2002 02:53:45 GMT
On Fri, 1 Mar 2002, Peter Donald wrote:

> The ClassLoader is however a completely different beastie and until it is
> thouroughly tested shouldn't be anywhere near ants core - especially as it
> doesn't need to be. If it turns out to be a good idea we can always
> incorporate it later.

I'm not touching ClassLoaders in any way with the hooks - the task
( actually, ProjectComponent ) creation will be 'hooked'.

If someone writes a Task that 'plugs' a different factory that
can use a different loader policy - that's great,  but it doesn't
have to be included in ant unless everyone agrees.

The current mechansim:
- addTaskDefinition( String name, Class c)
- createTask(): c.newInstance()

It will remain the default, however it will be possible to register
a ProjectComponentHelper, with a simple:
 createProjectComponent( Project p, String role, String ns, String name);

The createTask will first call any factory - and the factory has full
freedom in doing anything it wants to create the loader.

> > > Given how unlikely it is that your changes will be accepted into the main
> > > tree I would recomend that as the best path forward.
> >
> > Well, I think the changes are solving a real problem in Ant1,
> > and I see no reason to not have them accpted.
>
> But you are unlikely to stick around to maintain ant.

Well, as likely (or unlikely ) as anyone else around here.
Now that tomcat3.3 is completed I have some free time - and
some ideas.

> > If you have a valid reason to -1 any of the changes and a second
> > commiter will agree with you - I'll try to work around and find
> > a better solutions.
>
> Thats going to be the only real solution for you I suspect.

I'll do what I have to do.
( assuming you'll have a second -1 and good arguments to block
improvements in task registration/creation )

Costin