ant-dev mailing list archives

From <cost...@covalent.net>
Subject Re: ClassLoaders ( was: Re: We need to stop the lies)
Date Fri, 01 Mar 2002 01:05:14 GMT
On Fri, 1 Mar 2002, Peter Donald wrote:

> > Well, given your ( completely unjustified IMHO, but unfortunately
> > seconded by another commiter, so validated ) -1 on the TaskAdapter
> > improvements I'm not very inclined to get anything in - what can be
> > implemented as a task can be kept outside without any problem
> > and interference. I strongly believe we already have too many
> > tasks in ant, and grouping them in libraries is better.
> >
> > I'm focusing on adding the hooks I need and making the core
> > changes only.
>
> You don't need any changes to ants core tasks to implement the functionality.
> You could quite easily go to commons and implement it over there against
> ant1.4.1

The hooks are not only for that particular change - they solve few
big problems in ant - it allows Tasks to be created by a factory that
can control the loader, allow an alternative Project helper to
be plugged in ( i.e. XML2 support, other extensions ), allow more
flexibility in creating adapters.

> Given how unlikely it is that your changes will be accepted into the main
> tree I would recomend that as the best path forward.

Well, I think the changes are solving a real problem in Ant1,
and I see no reason to not have them accpted.

If you have a valid reason to -1 any of the changes and a second
commiter will agree with you - I'll try to work around and find
a better solutions.

Jose Alberto is the only reason for giving up on extending TaskAdapter,
since I don't believe your argument is valid. But the rule
is there, if a second commiter believes the same, it's valid.

Costin