ant-dev mailing list archives

From <cost...@covalent.net>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Promotion of FilterReaders proposal to main development tree.
Date Thu, 28 Feb 2002 16:43:44 GMT
On Thu, 28 Feb 2002, Magesh Umasankar wrote:

> > Not if you first declare "striplinecomments" as a type, using
> > a typedef declaration ( or antlib ).
> >

> How will I be able to extend from java.ioFilterReader
> as well as DataType at the same time?

You don't have to - again, TaskAdapter ( or RoleAdapter in
<antlib> proposal ) will do the magic. ( well, you
need a TypeAdapter equivalent with TaskAdapter ).
I'm working on a generic solution based on RoleAdapter
and TaskFactory, but even if this is not accepted,
RoleAdapter in antlib or a trivial cut&paste from
TaskAdapter will solve this - not only for FilterReader
but for anything else.

Plugging a bean into ant shouldn't require
extending DataType or Task - just by implementing the
ant patterns and letting ant do the adaptation.

> Also, note one of my aims was to be able to write
> a pluggable filterreader that has been created
> without making use of any of Ant's APIs...  I don't
> know how _important_ it is for this rule to
> stay, but if it stays, it will be more convenient...

Yes, this is very _important_ for me too.

> > The class would have to follow ant's patterns - i.e. have
> > addComment(), etc - like a task ( or a TaskAdapter-ed task )
> > would.
>
> It already does so that it can be used
> in short form notation too.  That is,
> <filterreader classname="org.apache.tools.ant.filters.StripLineComments">
> </filterreader>
> can also be written as
> <striplinecomments>
> </striplinecomments>

Why do you need the first form ? It's ugly, doesn't follow the
ant patterns, etc. We don't have <task classname="..." >.

The real problem is that you don't have enough power in
<typedef> and TypeAdapter - but it's better to solve the
real problem instead of doing a workaround.

> There are enough proposals already ;-)
> I will just wait till something surfaces
> and I will use it.  Till then, look at
> <filterreader> as another motivation
> for <antlib> ;-)

I would reverse it - look at my comments on filterreader
as a motivation for you to get involved in <antlib>
or just the adapter part.

Costin