ant-dev mailing list archives

From <cost...@covalent.net>
Subject Re: TaskAdapter/TaskFactory/RuntimeConfigurable
Date Thu, 28 Feb 2002 05:33:06 GMT
On Thu, 28 Feb 2002, Jose Alberto Fernandez wrote:

> Have you take a look at antlib proposal? I guess some of that stuff
> is addressed there. in particular generic adapters, factories and the
> Classloader issues. Maybe we could collaborate.

The whole discussion on antlib ( and the code ) had a huge
influence on what I'm trying to do.

My goal is to provide the hooks to allow arbitrary ( user )
code to create tasks/types, including Adapters ( Role in
your proposal ). I don't particulary care how loaders or tasks will be
created - I just want the hook to allow any policy.

There are few things I would change in antlib - make it
a bit simpler to start with and split it in smaller chunks.
The named ClassLoader idea is _great_, but I would prefer
to avoid the xml file and keep things simpler. What
taskdef is doing now is enough, typedef can be extended
in a similar way - and <filterset> could use the
same mechansim, a properties file with name and values.
All fancy stuff ( fine tune for override, aliases, etc )
could be added later.

And I would implement it as an extension to taskdef/typdef,
I think it's even possible to make the old build files
to take advantage of that automatically ( with a bit
of magic - which would be possible if Diane implements
the .antrc proposal in java and adds a bit more to it :-)

> I do not have as much free time as I would have wished.

:-)

Costin