ant-dev mailing list archives

From <cost...@covalent.net>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Promotion of FilterReaders proposal to main development tree.
Date Thu, 28 Feb 2002 03:30:11 GMT
I have the following comments:

- Parametrizable/Parameter. Ant already have a clear ( and pretty good )
set of rules for setting properties in java objects, using introspection,
etc. There is no need to introduce this concept, using the same mechanism
as for tasks should be enough.

- AntFilterReader - I prefer a more generic mechanism. What it does is
'wrap' a java.io.Filter into an ant datatype. The same thing can
 be better achieved in a generic way - using a TypeAdapter ( similar
with TaskAdapter ). <antlib> proposal ( and my proposed refactoring
of Task/Type management ) would provide this - all you have to do
to add the filter is use a typedef ( and that'll take care of
automatic property setting using introspection - so no need for
Parameter ).

- I _love_ your aproach of extending a java.io interface !!
On that alone you have my +1 ( if you remove the Parametrizable
and let the filters be simple beans, with no deps on ant -
none is needed !).

I'll add more comments as I read the code, but so far
filters/ are fine ( without Parametrizable ). If you agree
to use <antlib> or an extended <typdef>, most of what
you added in types/ will not be needed, and you can
group ChainFilterHelper ( which is not likely to be
used outside your package ) with the FilterReader type.

Costin

Your first example will no longer be needed, a <typedef> or
<antlib> will be enough to elimnate the need to use the full
class name and <param>