ant-dev mailing list archives

From <cost...@covalent.net>
Subject Re: Allowing for a "generic" .antrc & antrc_{pre,post].bat
Date Wed, 27 Feb 2002 17:36:40 GMT
On Tue, 26 Feb 2002, Diane Holt wrote:

> Rather than go into the specific things I needed it to do, a more recent
> use-case is this thing of people wanting to say (eg.) 'ant prod' and have
> it basically be the equivalent of 'ant -Dtarget=prod'. I posted a sample
> .antrc to handle that, but, again, it's not really the kind of thing you'd
> want to require everyone to put a copy of in their home dir. So adding
> processing of a (eg.) $ANT_HOME/etc/.antrc in addition to a $HOME/.antrc
> would make things like that much more appealing and doable.
>
> Anyone see any problems with it?  I'd say, process the one in $ANT_HOME
> first, then the one in $HOME (to allow for personalized overrides), yes?

I'm not sure - I completely agree with the idea of having some
'per user' and 'per installation' config, and changing 'ant prod'
to 'ant -Dtarget=prod' would be very usefull.

However I think it should be done in the java side, not in sh/bat.
I would go in a oposing direction, and 'deprecate' .antrc and
replace it with a platform independent file and logic in java.
( by 'deprecate' I mean providing and recommending the alternative,
of course :-)

BTW, I'm not sure if ant already has something like that,
but there's a method in tomcat that will look into
the CLASSPATH and 'guess' TOMCAT_HOME ( this is intended
as a java replacement for the .sh code that sets tomcat
home from $0 ). That makes 'java -jar .../tomcat.jar'
equivalent with tomcat.sh.

Costin