ant-dev mailing list archives

From <cost...@covalent.net>
Subject Re: We need to stop the lies
Date Sun, 24 Feb 2002 20:51:17 GMT
On Mon, 25 Feb 2002, Peter Donald wrote:

> > > No more than separate ClassLoaders for each library.
> >
> > A separate ClassLoader for each external taskdef is what ant1.4 does
> > ( check <taskdef> ).
> >
> > A separate ClassLoader for each Task will brake inter-task communication,
>
> no more than "ClassLoader for each external taskdef" or a "ClassLoader for
> each library"

One ClassLoader per external taskdef is supported today, and
one class loader per external library ( or task group - what taskdef
with a list of tasks ) is supported and works fine today (i.e. in
ant1.4).

If you think we need an option to run each task in a separate loader -
I'll +1 it as long as it's not the default ( the current behavior
is reasonable enough ).

The 'named loader proposal' supports current use cases ( and with
a small modification it'll support your use case too).

> > among other things. Maybe running each target in a different
> > class loader, but even that is too much ( I may agree with running each
> > <ant> call in a different class loader ).
>
> eww. Separate ClassLoader for target or per project?

Per project. A long-running ant ( like a 'build server', or
ant embedded in tomcat to automatically rebuild modified webapps)
will be able to run multiple projects isolated from each other.

> > 'Static variables' are an important and usefull feature,
> > separate ClassLoader per task would brake this as well.
>
> heh. I think they suck and leaf to several uglies hacks ... heres one of them.

Don't like - don't use. But don't try to impose your taste on everybody
else.

Costin