ant-dev mailing list archives

From <cost...@covalent.net>
Subject Re: We need to stop the lies
Date Sun, 24 Feb 2002 16:18:53 GMT
On Sun, 24 Feb 2002, Peter Donald wrote:

> > > Use of a separate instance of ClassLoader for each task instance. So
> > > ideally if you run velocity twice then separate ClassLoaders will be
> > > created for each run. This is because some tasks use static variables
> > > through dependent libraries.
> >
> > So, do you want in ANT that each use of each task be with a separate
> > ClassLoader? That should really break everything, don't you think?
>
> No more than separate ClassLoaders for each library.

A separate ClassLoader for each external taskdef is what ant1.4 does
( check <taskdef> ).

A separate ClassLoader for each Task will brake inter-task communication,
among other things. Maybe running each target in a different
class loader, but even that is too much ( I may agree with running each
<ant> call in a different class loader ).

'Static variables' are an important and usefull feature,
separate ClassLoader per task would brake this as well.

But if you really have a need for that, I think it's ok
to do it, as long as it's not the default ( i.e. you turn
 it on with an option ). Ant is great because of it's
flexibility.

We can even make the whole ClassLoader a pluggable API,
with different behaviors selected by a paticular AntLoader
instance that is selected ( and run ant1.4 files with
a loader that puts everything in the parent loader )

Costin