ant-dev mailing list archives

From <cost...@covalent.net>
Subject Re: pluggable ProjectHelper
Date Fri, 22 Feb 2002 17:50:25 GMT
On 22 Feb 2002, Stefan Bodewig wrote:

> > I would also like to commit some changes to the Ant task, making
> > it useable as an independent component that would jumpstart ant.
> > ( I already wrote an 'EmbededAnt', by refactoring Main, but Ant task
> > seems a much better place to do that ).
>
> Why do you think the Ant task is the better starting point?  Maybe I
> should just wait until the code is ready - and then I can see the
> light 8-)

I'll create a temporary sandbox dir and place all the code I modified.

My goal is to be able to 'embed' and 'integrate' ant more easily in
other applications. That's my itch, and that's what I'm trying to
solve.

I want also to be able to execute tasks independently - without
creating a build.xml, with targets, etc. For that to work I
need a Project object ( which acts as an execution context ),
and hooks to invoke the tasks without ever calling the build-xml
functionality.

The AntBean is based on Main ( I just copied it and added setters
for all options, then split the 2 big methods in several smaller
for more control ).

The Ant task is very similar - I'm still trying to integrate
it ( since they do the same thing and should have similar
features ), however AntBean is now better to start ant,
while Ant task is better to execute a sub-project.

Please take a look, I'll commit later today into sandbox,
I don't know what is the plan for 1.5 but I would like to
have it in before.

Costin