ant-dev mailing list archives

From <cost...@covalent.net>
Subject Re: pluggable ProjectHelper
Date Thu, 21 Feb 2002 18:38:15 GMT
On Thu, 21 Feb 2002, Erik Hatcher wrote:

> I don't have the brain bandwidth right now to really dig in and comprehend
> the changes you've made, but I'm +1 on the extensibility ideas you've said
> will be possible.
>
> Will you be making some prototype (or production!) app that takes advantage
> of these added capabilities?  Please share it if at all possible.

I'm working on that - but what I want to do is not easy at all, and with
the current amount of free time it'll not be ready very soon.

I'll check in a prototype in commons-sandbox as soon as it's ready.

What I want to do is merge the ant's ProjectHelper with tomcat's
XmlMapper ( or digester, it's almost the same ) with Axis
'handler' patterns.

Ant has ( IMHO ) the most intuitive patterns, with beautifull
XML that maps to clean java. XmlMapper is more flexible and
supports more 'divergent' models. Axis has an excelent mechanism
to support 'plugins' and can put everything togheter. So what
I'm trying to do is implement the axis architecture with
ant's patterns and xmlmapper as handlers.

Costin