ant-dev mailing list archives

From <cost...@covalent.net>
Subject Re: Dealing with ClassLoaders
Date Wed, 20 Feb 2002 19:18:39 GMT
On 20 Feb 2002, Stefan Bodewig wrote:

> The more important part was "and if we really can without breaking
> backwards compatibility".
>
> We cannot change the classloader handling for things that don't use
> <antlib> (or <taskdef> if we throw in additional parameters to control
> the behavior).
>
> But even then, we wouldn't solve the current problems.

I'm not sure what 'backward compatiblitity' cannot be preserved.
What works today will still work - the proposal is just making some
enhancements ( like adding 'named loaders', defining some conventions
to construct and use the named loaders ).

It can be easily implemented (almost) independently of the current
core, with little refactoring and adding of some hooks. That
means it would be easy to switch back to the old loader, if
you want 100% compatibility ( including bugs ).

It may not solve all the current problems, but I think it
can solve most of them.

Costin